I am not sure what life crisis I am entering, but I have been super excited to make pickled red onions. I mean, imagine your favourite dish. Go on… imagine it!
- Mushroom burger
- Vegan hotdog
- Thai curry
- Morrish salads
- Stews… anything!
And then imagine these beautiful tangy, crisp babies decorated on top.
They seem to magically transform any meal into something world-class! And they look so pretty too. When you leave them in the brine for a day, they become these pretty pink little things.
Is it healthy though?
Oh yes! Turns out, red onions are extremely healthy for you. Here are a few things red onions are good for:
- Great source of vitamin C.
- Good for your heart.
- Great source of antioxidenants. Red onions contain a higher amount of antioxidant compounds.
- They promote weight-loss. They are rich in quercetin, a flavonoid that prevents fat accumulation and also boosts metabolism.
- Sulfides in onions contain necessary amino acids. Amino acids are the basic building block for protein, and protein is used in virtually every vital function in the body.
- They contain fiber and folic acid, a B vitamin that helps the body make healthy new cells.
- Quercetin has a host of other benefits, as well, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center, reducing the symptoms of bladder infections, promoting prostate health and lowering blood pressure.
Is pickled red onions quick to make?
The fact that red onions are super healthy, not to mention the Apple cider vinegar that comes with its own set of health benefits, makes it king. It is a dish that is cheap to make. Easy to put together. I would say 5 minutes tops. A winner all round. You mix the ingredients for the brine together. Cut the red onions. Pour boiling water over the onions in a strainer and then assemble the onions and brine in a clean glass jar. Easy. Quick. Done!
So excited I got to make this lovely recipe finally. I feel like I have finally grown up. As if my grandmother would say… ‘well done my child, you are one of us now’.
I served these beautiful babies on some flat bread. With garlic, vegan ghee / butter and herbs. So yum!