Radishes has never really been a favourite. Yip, I said it! The only place they lived, were in salads. They taste sharp and peppery. I buy them for their aesthetics, only to shrivel up and die in my fridge. Sad. Sad.
Buuuuut….. that was the old me!
The NEW ME… LOVES radishes! Completely. In fact, I am a little besotted over them now. If you have never tried roasted radishes, do yourself a favour and throw these beauties into a roasting dish with butter, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs. Soooo good. I love roasting them with their greens on. It turns out deliciously crispy and yummy. You can even make pesto with the greens! There is soooo much you can do with them! You can even pickle them. From the green leaves to the colourful jewels, they are incredibly versatile.
Who knew that roasting radishes was even a thing? I feel like the last person on the planet to have learnt this. These gorgeous root vegetables are a treat. From growing them, to eating them! Hope you enjoy this roasted radish recipe! Let the exploration begin.
When are radishes in season and when to grow them?
Grow the food you love! Radishes can be found in stores almost all-year-round, as they are easy to grow.
Radishes love growing in the cooler months. So planting seeds from Autumn through to beginning Spring is most desired. They grow really quickly and only takes a month from seed to harvest! Perfect vegetable to grow with young children. Radishes, like most root vegetables, love rich loose well-drained soil.
Health benefits of radishes
Red radishes are packed with Vitamins E, A, C, B6, and K. Plus it’s high on antioxidants, fiber, zinc, potassium (important for muscle health), phosphorous, magnesium, copper, calcium (good for bones), iron and manganese.
- It is good for skin health
- Fighting infections
- Anti-fungal properties
- Good for heart health
- Good for diabetes
- Lowers Blood Pressure
Why you should roast radishes?
- Flavour: The flavour is transformed. They change from a sharp peppery taste to a sweet crispy jewel of deliciousness!
- Quick: They are quick to prepare. Roast for 20 minutes and they are done!
- Low calories: Wonderful vegetable to prepare, as it is low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals.
- Versatile: You can slice, dice, quartered, whole or shave them. They are deliciously roasted any which way.
- Healthy: Radishes packs a big health punch in the health department. Adding them to your diet is a must!
What do they taste like?
They change from sharp peppery things into slightly sweet, caramelized, melt-in-your mouth, turnip-like juicy jewels. Yum!
What to serve with roasted radishes?
- Serve it over polenta
- Serve it as a side-dish to any meal
- Serve it in a buddha bowl
- Serve it as is
- Serve it as is with tahini dressing
- Serve it over mashed potatoes
- Possibilities are endless!